Tuesday, June 3, 2008

From Vail Summer Project

The cross country trip to Vail for summer project has finally concluded in success. After Jared and I left Fayetteville last Saturday, we traveled through Dallas, TX, where we stayed a few days with my aunt. Then we drove up through Kansas and into Denver. Since project didn't start until May 31, Jared and I had the opportunity to explore Vail for a few days, which pretty much consisted of looking for jobs and camping on a ridge overlooking the valley. Not bad.

Project officially got underway on Saturday, and we dove headfirst into a sense of community that is only going to continue to grow stronger and the weeks go on. The goal of our transplanted community is to start spiritual movements in the Vail valley, as each individual grows up in their abilities and up in Christ. The ministry philosophy is to make things as real life as possible, which means being real with the people we meet on the job or around the town, and just shining the light of Christ into their lives. This may seem like we are not being intentional, but in fact it is the opposite; we are meeting people where they are at and showing them a new and better way.

I created this blog to give an account about what is going on here in Vail. It isn't meant to be exhaustive, but instead its just a place to extend to the reader my thoughts about what I see, what I do, and how I am growing. Jared will also be a contributor to this blog and will give his own take about what's going on in Vail. At some point, I will be linking to the blogs of others here on project so that you might gain more insight into our community.

So enjoy. Read, comment, and maybe even learn something, as we share how we are growing here in Vail. Interactions from friends and strangers alike are desirable to us to build us up and to guide us. We would love for you to be a part of this community and in some ways journey with us.

I conclude with the verse that is the namesake of this blog. It is my constant prayer for this project, the Vail community, and for myself:

"And it is my prayer thatyour love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God."
Philippians 1:9-11

Thanks for reading,

Allen

Currently Reading:
Philippians/Galatians
Humility by Andrew Murray

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Allen,
Thanks for sharing with such insight and Godliness. I feel like part of the Vail summer project already with the help of your blog and Tyler's. Know that you are being lifted up constantly by many... me being one of those. I really enjoyed reading your blog and Phil 1:9. Rhonda Belcher
(Tyler's Mom in Gainesville, Fl)